De-stressing with Peanut Butter

One of my favorite ways to de-stress is to bake or cook while watching a favorite TV show (preferably something in the mindless reality-show genre).  So tonight was a perfect opportunity for me to try Yuki the Dog Blog’s Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits!  I read my first Yuki post only a week or so ago, when Melissa left a comment on The Daily Toki.  Thanks Melissa for posting the delish and easy recipe on your blog!  (Check out Yuki’s blog for some adorable pics of her mini schnauzer, plus her elegant baked goods.)  The recipe consists of only 5 ingredients!  I altered the recipe just a little bit based on the ingredients I had in my pantry.  Plus I added just a tiny bit of honey, so Toki and her people parents could indulge in the cookies.  : )  For half of the batch, I also added some pumpkin puree and cinnamon, just to see what would happen.

The Recipe:

• 2 cups spelt flour

• 1 cup soymilk (despite the bottle, that’s soymilk in there)  : )

• 1/2 cup instant oats
  • 1 Tablespoon baking soda

• 1 cup smooth peanut butter

• 1 heaping Tablespoon honey (optional)
  • Experimental additions: pumpkin puree and a dash of cinnamon (for half the batch)

Mix dry ingredients, then wet ingredients.  You can roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out cookie shapes (my pumpkin batter was a little wet for that), or drop them onto a greased or silpat/wax paper-lined baking sheet.  Cook until firm – 10-20 minutes depending on size of cookie – at 375 degrees F.

Results:

Let’s just say, Toki thinks I’m an amazing baker . . .

(“Are you baking cookies for me?“)

She must have smelled the peanut butter and assumed I was preparing something for her, because as soon as I started measuring and mixing the ingredients for her cookies, I heard the patter of her paws running down the stairs.

She was very curious and patient.  But she definitely kept her eye on those cookies!

Taste Test:

I love taste tests . . . In my non-scientific taste test, Toki preferred her homemade biscuits over her favorite commercially-baked biscuits (Zukes mini bakes).  Yay!

It also passed the Josh taste test.  He took Toki for a walk while the cookies were baking, and when he got back, Toki had some competition for the peanut butter treats.  At first he was a little dubious when I said the “dog treats” were for both of them, but pretty soon he was asking me for a fourth cookie… hehe.  As a side note, the cookies spooned out onto the baking sheets had a better texture for human consumption (moist insides and crunchy outer crust), but the flat, rolled out cookie dough might be better for a pup (just because they’re a little smaller).

The pumpkin-Peanut Butter batch was a little more moist – and the spoon-dropped cookies tasted amazing right out of the oven!  As a side note, both of these cookies are not exactly sweet by human standards.  But the little touch of honey and the natural sweetness of the peanut butter (and the pumpkin) make it a wholesome-tasting snack.  Plus, it’s fun to share with Toki.

Postscript:

One thing I like about this recipe, besides it requiring only simple and readily available ingredients, is that it’s vegetarian.  (Not to mention that it’s shareable with us pet parents . . . )  I don’t think dogs should be vegetarians, but it’s nice not to have meaty hands every once in a while.

Some of Toki’s other favorite non-meat training treats are Zukes Mini Bakes Naturals Peanut Butter and Blueberryz (they’re scored down the middle so you can break them into smaller pieces), Fruitables Pumpkin and Banana Treats (a little big for training, but they smell sooo good!), and the Zukes Peanut Butter Mini Naturals.  Mmmmm.  Of course we’re always on the lookout for good recommendations, so let me know if you have any favorite veggie-based treats or recipes for your pup!

This entry was posted in Crafty, Do It Yourself, Photo Post, Reviews and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to De-stressing with Peanut Butter

Love the post! Love the photos of Toki eagerly peering up at the counter! And I love that she was served her cookie on a plate!!!! I use pumpkin puree for cookies too – they add nice moisture, density and flavor while still being somewhat healthy! You said Josh ate four – how many did YOU eat? ha ha!

Well . . . I’m not going to say how many I ate, but let’s just say that I did plenty of taste testing and quality control! I think Toki was really surprised that she got to eat the cookie off the plate, since she knows that’s always our food on those things. I had to tell her “okay” several times before she’d take it! : ) By the way – did you recognize the dog dish towel?

• Jennifer says:

Did I give that dish towel to you? I was thinking it and the glasses were so cute and I love the wood tray that you set everything up on! Do you ever think Toki will come to Ohio? Wonder how she and Twiggy would get along!

Yes you did! I have the best selection of dish towels and socks this side of the Mississippi. : )

I’m hoping that I might be able to take a road trip this fall with Toki so that Twiggy and Toki can meet. I think Twiggy would be the wise elder, and hopefully teach Toki a thing or two!

2. Kimi says:

What a great post! I love baking treats for my dogs. Our last experiment treat was Gingerbread dog biscuits, and we will be making our own frosty paws soon since the weather is warm. All three of my pups sit right outside the kitchen the second they know peanut butter is involved! Loved all the pictures of Toki with HER cookie 🙂

3. Kas says:

Mmmm those look yummy! We will have to give these a try soon. 🙂

4. ann says:

Yumtastic! Love the photos of Toki waiting in anticipation and licking her chops. 😀 Where did you get those adorable glass tumblers?

Oh my goodness! Save us some please

I love baking treats for the pups… luckily they are not picky. It also gives me my baking fix without me eating what I make so I don’t continue to put weight on that won’t come off. I have a couple recipes on the recipe tab on Luna’s blog of a couple favorites around here. And despite what everything says I find that they keep very well, especially if you cook them to a crunch. I currently have some PB Pumpkin Oatmeal biscuits I made for them that they seem to like… and it was fun to let them lick the spoons for once.. Speaking of treats I better go snip up the chukar to dry for them.
    Thanks for sharing, i will keep these in mind
    Anna

Anna – Thanks for the heads up. You always have some delish-looking food photos on your blog, along with your dog pictures, so I should have guessed that you’d have some cool dog biscuit recipes as well! LOVE your street dogs post that’s currently on your front page too. I have a soft spot for street dogs . . . You might not have seen it, but I did a book review post a while back on a book called Slum Dogs of India (link here: http://wp.me/p11Gbh-6q). I’ll let you know how the baking experiments go.

7. Oh yeah, these cookies sound like they’ll be a hit with any four-legger (and two-legger, as you have proven)! I first came across the recipe on Yuki’s blog and told myself I really ought to try it out. Glad to see that you’ve given it a spin in your own kitchen with Toki! As always, great pictures—love the warm colours…they remind me of honey, oats, AND peanut butter 😀

Thanks! I took the photos at night in my kitchen, so the white balance was a bit off, but I actually liked the effect (as you’ve also observed). I couldn’t help but be inspired by Yuki’s recipe post – the photos on her blog were so sweet.

8. jen says:

yum! i’m trying them.

9. Cookies both pups and pup-parents can enjoy together? That sounds like my kinda cookie. I think we’ll be waiting until fall to attempt this recipe since the oven turns our kitchen into a sauna, but I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Oscar L-O-V-E-S the Peanut Butter and Blueberryz Mini Bakes, too. I bought them for him when we started his diet boot camp because of the almost guiltless 5 calories per bite. 😉

BTW, Toki has to be the most beautiful dog on WordPress! Not a day goes by when I don’t admire her gorgeous white coat.

Ahhh, you are too kind! : ) : ) : )

Let me know how your cookie attempts go! I’m really interested in finding more dog-people recipes. Cause I can throw some dog cookies in my pocket for our walks, and then eat them if I get a little hungry! haha.

10. M.C. says:

Looks like some great ingredients! And yes, Toki with those cute little begging eyes TOTALLY knows what’s up.

Strangely, the cookies were pretty tasty people food too. They’re best fresh out of the oven, but I’ve been eating “dog biscuits” for the past several days . . .

11. Kame says:

It’s nice being a dog…you can eat more food than we are.

I really like that 5th picture where Toki is trying to look over the table and the smile on Toki’s face (3rd picture from the last) is priceless

Yes! Toki doesn’t have to watch her figure too much, because she just burns it off. Fast metabolism and those long legs I guess. ; )

Toki was awfully curious about the whole baking process. I could swear that she knew those cookies were for her!

12. yuki the dog says:

oooh, i think i’m gonna have to try it with honey to maybe sweeten them up. i used all natural, no sugar added peanut butter, you know the kind you have to mix since the oil is at the top. so they’re not sweet at all, but i think i could eat them myself if they have honey/pumpkin/cinnamon.

13. Yay for spelt flour because I can’t eat gluten anymore. Might be worth taking camping with us. That way we can share with Chester and Gretel. Also, when you are out in the woods and starving, ANYTHING tastes good…so we probably wouldn’t miss the lack of sweetness 🙂

That’s interesting – I knew spelt flour was healthy, but I didn’t realize it was gluten free. These treats are definitely camping food – very hearty, and much tastier when you’re hungry!

14. eardog says:

Love this post! Stunning photos, great recipe, and the always adorable Toki!

15. Pingback: Happy Halloween, luv Toki, Yuki & Rocket! | The Daily Toki