72 Hours: Packing Your Pup’s Emergency Survival Pack

Tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires . . . even volcanic eruptions!  It seems like we never know when we might have to grab our stuff and run.

Like a good Californian, Toki recently put together a disaster preparedness kit.  It mainly consisted of me purchasing the dog survival pack from Pet-Pac.com, a local company that assembles and ships pet survival packs around the country.  Because the Pet-Pac kit was completely stocked with everything that Toki might need in an emergency, I just added some of her favorite canned dog food, and a favorite toy.  : )

The Pet-Pac survival pack came in an extremely attractive, heavy-duty red duffel.  Probably because I have a soft spot for official-looking packages of all kinds, I decided that I wanted to get the complete disaster kit from Pet-Pac instead of making my own.  Plus, the nice folks at Pet-Pac did all the work!  In the picture below, Toki provides a sense of scale.  You can see that the bag is fairly substantial, with plenty of room for customization and additions to the kit.  (The kits are available in three sizes, according to the weight of your dog.)

Whether you purchase a ready-made kit, or assemble your own (which could actually be kind of fun), it’s a smart idea to implement some form of disaster-preparedness measures for you and your pet.  72hours.org is an extremely thorough website detailing all aspects of disaster preparedness.  The site is part of the San Francisco Department of Emergency Management, so you know they have their act together.  The website stresses that it might be at least 3 days–or 72 hours–before vital services are restored in the event of a natural or manmade emergency.  You want to make sure that you can provide for you and your pet during that time.

For tips on putting together an animal disaster preparedness kit, check out the packing list (link available here) provided by the Surf City Animal Response Team.  Go to 72hours.org to find information on general preparation, including suggestions on home safety and the contents of your human “go-bag”.

Some of the pet-related tips included in these materials:

• Practice crate training with your dog or cat – this will prove to be invaluable in the event of an emergency.
  • Don’t forget to rotate food and water in your emergency pack to ensure freshness.
  • Keep an extra leash and collar handy in the car, as well as in your emergency pack.
  • Remember these tips for ensuring that your pet has a proper ID!
  • Keep a window decal or other sign outside your house to identify the presence of pets inside.
  • Keep photos as well as vet records in your emergency kit – even better, in addition to packing a copy of the records in your go-bag, follow the excellent advice from According To Gus’s blog on keeping an online diary of your pet’s medical history.  If you lose the hard copy of your records, you’ll still be able to access them wherever you can get to the internet.
  • Finally, don’t forget to include some toys and chews in your emergency kit.  This will help your pet feel more relaxed if you’re stranded in a strange or stressful locale.

Here are the contents of Toki’s emergency pack.

This entry was posted in Do It Yourself, Photo Post and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to 72 Hours: Packing Your Pup’s Emergency Survival Pack

Since we are in CA, we better get a bigger kit ready

As Californian’s we have an inordinate share of natural disasters . . . ! Now it’s time for me to put together my own go-kit. I’ve been so lazy about putting one together for myself!

2. yuki the dog says:

wow, very useful info…it never even occurred to me about having a survival pack for my dog yuki. thanks so much, i think i’ll get started on yuki’s.

Hi! Thanks for commenting – I luv your blog! Are you a baker by trade, or just a very talented baker-blogger? I’m hoping to try your dog biscuit recipe this weekend!

3. What an excellent post! This is a good reminder for my husband and I to step up our game and put together an emergency survival pack for Maple AND ourselves. We have been procrastinating on this for far too long, so thank you for the prompt.

By the way, I find it super funny that Toki’s Pet-Pac includes two tennis balls. I suppose they help dogs (and humans) to de-stress at times of emergency. Looks like we’ll be packing Maple’s pink tennis ball 😉

4. ann says:

Wow, that’s a great pack–and those two tennis balls are absolutely essential!

5. Kristen says:

This is such a wonderful post and something I never even thought about. Here in Massachusetts we don’t have too many natural disasters however a tornado hit not to far away the other week which was really rare. The worst I have ever figured could happen to us is that we would get snowed in by a blizzard. That is such a bad way to think though and you are right that it is so important to be prepared for anything that could happen.

That Pet-Pac looks great!

Thanks Kristen. Those tornadoes were crazy! I went to school in Massachusetts, and I always thought the only thing we’d have to worry about were Northeasters. I’m glad you guys were safe.

The thing that I like about the emergency dog kit is that you always have the essentials on hand – whether you have to evacuate the house because of some non-natural disaster related cause (fire, burst pipe, whatever), you forgot to pick up the dog food, or your pup’s only leash just broke, it’s always nice to have a special spare set of everything you need.

6. I have a homemade emergency kit for Oscar filled with the essentials, but your post reminded me to throw in a durable bowl for him. Can’t believe I forgot about that!

7. Thank you for the mention!

We put together our own first aid kit for Gus for our travels, but I’m with you on attractive packaging!

You post reminded me that we should make sure we have a sticker or something in our wallets about Gus. In case we were to get into an accident, we would want somone to know that Gus was traveling with us!

I was just so impressed with the thoroughness and ingenuity of your medical dog blog, so I definitely wanted to spread the word! And yes, packaging can sometimes make all the difference. : ) I’m sure after your travels with Gus you’ll have lots of great advice for all of us pet people.

great post! I carry a small kit for injuries in my car now ever since Luna cut her foot. But I do need to have some more available copies of her records. I should see about having one online somewhere too.
    Great tools and tips, well done
    Anna

9. PET-PAC LLC says:

Hi all,
    Patty with PET-PAC LLC here ~ good ‘catch’ on the tennis balls! We just imagined sheltering without our iPods, Kindles, some sort of activity to refocus all that nervous energy that erupts during stressful times. So, a basic toy or two became an integral component of our kit. And should pet parents forget *their* toys, we are certain that their pets would happily share theirs 🙂

for our pets,
    –patty

10. Pingback: Things I Love Thursday « minearebetter

11. Thank you for sharing this important info! Our pets need just as much care taking and proactive preparedness for whenever an emergency strikes. As you said in one of you comments, we do sometimes take better care of our pups than ourselves. But I think when we are taking care of others, we often are actually taking care of ourselves. Because we are focusing on others’ needs, it shows us what is important and forces us to take care of our needs as well so we can better care for them. It seems to be a cyclical kind of thing. : )

12. Chandra says:

Thanks so much for this post! It gave me the kick in the pants to take the odds and ends I’ve put aside and really do the emergency pack right!

I appreciated the post so much that I posted about it! Thanks, Toki!
    -Chandra at Daley’s Dog Years

13. Crystal says:

We packed out own kit, using a camera bag with adjustable pockets inside to contain it all. Most of it is basic first aid supplies, which can be used for dogs, cats, humans, and probably a variety of other animals. It includes basics like vet wrap, sports tape, thermometer, pain medications, ear cleaner, saline solution (for ears, eyes, wound cleaning, and more), nail clippers, etc. The most used item is the vet wrap, which comes in handy when one of the dogs gets a cut on the pad (or for me, when I sprained my wrist last week).

Extra vet wrap is a great idea. Vet wrap is to first aid what duct tape is to backpacking gear – useful in almost every situation. I purchased a first aid kit in addition to the emergency kit, but it’s always better to personalize the contents a bit. Thanks for the reminder!

14. We could be more perpared for sure. I like to think the dogs could survive with the things we take with us for survival. Seeing as how they are small that might just be true. However, I have nothing in my purse. or that we can grab and run with, that has a picture of description.

Living in a seismic zone, and with a bigger dog to worry about, I probably have more of a motivation to prepare an emergency go-bag than most. At the very least, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, I’m prepared for almost any eventuality (like the more likely scenario of having to raid it for some last minute food, equipment or travel supplies . . . )! : )