Twiggy is a . . .

Twiggy, Toki’s country cousin, recently took one of those newfangled DNA tests.

We always thought she was an Akita mix, so we were very curious to see the results.

Drumroll please . . . !

Yes, Twiggy is an Akita mix!

Twiggy is 1/2 Akita, 1/4 Golden Retriever (who knew!) and 1/4 Chow (don’t they seem to turn up in every mutt’s family tree?)!  According to the DNA test, both of Twiggy’s parents were 1/2 Akita, as opposed to one parent being a full Akita.  Go Twiggy!!!

Have any readers given their pup a doggy DNA test?  What were the results?  Did they surprise you?

If you can’t get enough of these DNA tests, check out the National Geographic Genographic Project, a global study of the migratory history of the human species.  Scientists are collaborating with indigenous and traditional people from around the globe to gather DNA in order to understand where we came from and how we got to where we are today.  You can also contribute and become part of this effort–and learn about your ancient ancestry–by purchasing a Genographic Project DNA kit.  I submitted my DNA test a few years ago, and am now a member of the Genographic Project database, where I can read about the migratory history of my ancient ancestors (think tens of thousands of years ago).  One cool aspect of the project is that they will continue to update your results page (which is password protected and anonymous) as they gain more information from the research project results.  If you’re interested in the ancient history of humans, you should check out the Genographic Project website which explains the project and highlights findings from this ambitious endeavor.

This entry was posted in factoid, Photo Post and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Twiggy is a . . .

1. jen says:

Interesting about the chow thing – they do seem to be on almost all doggy dna results!

Golden retriever! Wow! I’m sure Twiggy is happy to have you home for a visit! You’ll have to fill me in on your DNA results!

3. Sam says:

Hi,
    Sam here from the blog hop. What an interesting post. I should get tested as Mom and Dad have absolutely NO idea as to what I am.
    Rrruff
    Sam

Hi Sam – Thanks for stopping by! It’s pretty cool to be able to confirm what we thought she was (Akita), and fun to be surprised (golden retriever)!

4. Tammy says:

What a great face – no matter what mix! 🙂

5. raisingdaisy says:

Hi~ we’re just popping in from Blog Hop. What a beautiful dog Twiggy is! Interesting DNA results – those Chows really do get around! LOL 🙂

6. i never thought of pet DNA testing… fascinating. How cool that you’re now aware of twiggy’s origins.

So cool to know your DNA. You are a cutie

8. Ann says:

I ❤ Twiggy! She has such a regal bearing…it's so cool to have your Akita assumptions confirmed. You've convinced me to purchase a DNA kit for Dobby 😀

9. We just sent in a DNA test for Gus a week ago – we’re so excited to get the results.

That’s a great photo of Twiggy. 😀

10. I haven’t because I know my guys are purebred. I know some people who have though and they said they didn’t think the test results were very accurate. These test results sound pretty specific though. Maybe the tests they took were when the science was still young so they weren’t so good.

I’m curious about how accurate they are too, but I guess there’s no real way to cross check…! I do think it’s curious that I found “chow” in both Twiggy’s and Toki’s DNA tests, but maybe it’s just a coincidence. I feel pretty confident in the main results though, and I did notice that the results were reported back to us slightly different in this newer version of the test that I gave to Twiggy. Perhaps they are making improvements?

11. ForPetsSake says:

Your Santoki is a gorgeous kiddo! Glad to have found you through Blog Paws. Please check us out if you get a chance:
    Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by and nice to meet you! I really enjoyed your post on Arwen’s love of beer and ice cream! She’s a beautiful gal. Look forward to reading more!