Discovering the Shikoku Ken

One of the best aspects of the America’s Family Pet Expo was the opportunity to get acquainted with a wide variety of interesting breeds.  You may not know this about me, but I’m a huge fan of spitz dogs – especially the Japanese and Korean breeds like the Akita and Jindo.  (My other BFF, besides Toki, happens to be a sweet Akita mix.)

So you can imagine how delighted I was to meet the Shikoku Ken, a Japanese spitz breed native to Shikoku Island.

This medium-sized dog falls somewhere between the Akita and the Shiba Inu in size.  Originally used to hunt boar in the mountains of Kochi, the dogs are naturally brave, but cautious . . . tough, agile, and energetic, but calm and quiet indoors.  Like other native Japanese breeds, the Shikoku can be somewhat stubborn and independent, and aloof to those outside of its family.  (Yes, just like a cat.)  These characteristics can either be a source of frustration, or a source of pleasure, depending on the person!

You can find more information on the Shikoku Ken at www.airreyalis.com and on the Nihon Ken forum.

And here are some of the other dogs that I met at the expo.

The Korean Jindo . . . (demure)

The Japanese Akita-Inu . . . (what a plush puppy!)

And the Shiba-Inu (foxy!) . . .

I love all dogs, and especially mutts (yeah, Toki!) but I also find that there are certain breeds that I just gravitate towards . . .   What are yours, and what do you love about them?

—–

This post is part of the Saturday Pet Bloggers Blog Hop!

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

This entry was posted in Events, factoid, Photo Post and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Discovering the Shikoku Ken

1. Thanks for sharing. I, of course, love Doxies. I also love, love, love Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

2. tony says:

Nice pics. Here’s another website about the Shikoku http://shikokuclub.org

3. I love mixed breeds like my Oscar, but I find myself gravitating towards German shepherds.

I love my mutts too. : ) All of my dogs have been mixed breeds, but I also find it fascinating to meet purebred dogs with these amazing instincts and specific characteristics.

we loved checking out the different breeds too. Did you see the Great Dane, black and white polkas dots, that looked gigantic like a horsey?

When I lived in New York, I had a chance to go to the Westminster dog show and check out all of the cool show dogs getting ready in the prep area. But the pet expo was even better, because the dogs were just there to be pet and to be met! : ) I didn’t catch the Great Dane with the spots, but I saw a gorgeous big black one walking around…

5. Thank you for introducing us to the Shikoku and Korean Jindo—it’s the first time I’ve heard of these two breeds, and your photos have captured their beauty so wonderfully. As for me, well, I’ve always had a fascination for Chow Chows. But, lately, I’ve found myself being drawn to the mutts here in Singapore—they’re affectionately called, ‘Singapore Specials’… and they really are something special 😉

6. M.C. says:

Awesome pix!

I’m partial to the “primitive” breeds and sighthounds myself… A Shiba and Basenji currently rule our home. I’ve met some extremely sweet Chows, greyhounds, and am quite partial to a type of indigenous Taiwanese dog known colloquially as the tugou (which is, for all intents and purposes, not a “breed” so much as a mutt with a typical village dog look, though there is a breed recognized as the Formosan Mountain Dog).

p.s. Adding your blog to my sidebar.

Thank you! What a beautiful pair of dogs you have! I stopped briefly by your blog, but I’m going to have to make a second pass to read all of the interesting content. I will definitely be visiting in the future. Thank you for adding us to your sidebar too. (We’re going to be adding some new blogger buddies to our list, and I’d love to add you guys as well!)